Friday, May 5, 2023

Gifts

Gifting is an art, in my opinion. Choosing a gift that is both useful and would make someone happy takes a lot of time and patience. What is very important is to understand what the other person wants and will like. 

As a child, I have received many gifts (just like any other kid) and I have always liked all of them. I have memories of getting excited while unwrapping the gifts and then feeling so happy after looking at what they were. 

As I grew up, probably when I was in my late 20s, my age and my experience made me look at gifts differently. I looked at the gifts that were given for birthdays, weddings and other occasions. People gifted more or less the usual stuff. Some bought unique items that were so beautiful but of no use. They were usually articles that could be kept on display in the showcases in the house. Still, only few could be kept and some were stored in those shelves or boxes. Some people were so good at recycling the gifts ๐Ÿ˜€. Whatever they didn't like were given as gifts to others. Iam guilty of doing that a few times. I mean what do you do when you absolutely don't like something and get a chance to give it off to someone else. You give it hoping the other person would like it. I would then estimate the cost of that gift and promptly ask my dad to give me that money๐Ÿ˜€

I know a lot of people say it is the thought that matters and not the actual gift. Still, I think in this age when everyone makes their own choices and the world is quite changing, we should also change the way we give gifts. One way is to ask the intended person on what they like and buy it for them or actually take them to a store and ask them to buy within the budget you have in mind.

The other best option is to give them the money or a gift card and ask them to get what they want. Am very sure everyone would be delighted to buy what they really want to buy.

Still, sometimes a surprise gift gives you so much joy no matter what it is. At that time you don't actually think about the value or price of that gift. It is the gift and the person who is giving the gift that matters. The thought and the time they spent in buying the gift overrides everything else.



No comments:

Post a Comment